SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday 3 May 2016

My Beautiful Broken Brain (Sophie Robinson & Lotje Sodderland, 2014)

My Beautiful Broken Brain (2014) Poster

Cast: Lotje Sodderland

Summary: My Beautiful Broken Brain is 34 year old Lotje Sodderland's personal voyage into the complexity, fragility and wonder of her own brain following a life changing hemorrhagic stroke.

Genre: Documentary, Biography

Watched: April 17th, 2016


I don't watch a lot of documentaries as they're not really my thing, but when I read about this one I thought that it sounded very interesting so I decided to give it a go.

This documentary was just amazing!! It was incredibly hard to watch at times, seeing such a bright, young woman (at only 34) breakdown as she struggles with simple things like listing words that begins with an S absolutely broke my heart and within a few minutes I was crying with her.

Watching someone who at one point in their life was clearly a very articulate person stumble over words, unable to say certain words or phrases is absolutely terrifying. It definitely makes you stop and think, I know I did because I've never thought of a stroke as being something that strips you of your ability to speak, read and write so dramatically and for years afterwards.

This isn't entirely a documentary about recovering, it's about finding yourself, not the person you used to be but the person you are now.
Once again this documentary was absolutely fantastic, although it would have been phenomenal without the added David Lynch feel.


*Read this incredible article written by Lotje herself (with the help of Siri as she still struggles to read and write): 'I felt as if I had become fear itself': life after a stroke at 34


Rating: 8/10
One Final Word: Fantastic

d

Post a Comment