SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday 23 July 2016

Clouds of Sils Maria (Olivier Assayas, 2014)

Clouds of Sils Maria (2014) Poster

Cast: Juliet Binoche, Kristen Stewart, Chloe Grace Moretz, Johnny Flynn, Hans Zischler

Summary: A film star comes face-to-face with an uncomfortable reflection of herself while starring in a revival of the play that launched her career.

Genre: Drama

Watched: April 2016


I had been wanting to watch this film for a few months now (mainly because Kristen Stewart stars in it) and boy am I glad I did!

As someone who studied film I think the story is incredibly interesting as it is very much about acting. As Ian Freer says in his Empire review, the film is about "the difference between classic and modern styles, between intuition and technique, and about how age can infuse approaches to creativity.

I absolutely loved Kristen Stewart and Juliet Binoche. I thought their performances were fantastic, especially Stewart's. I wrote in my Adventureland review back in 2010 that although I really liked Stewart her, her acting style often annoyed me. This is definite proof that she can in fact act and for me this is her best performance yet.
Clouds of Sils Maria (2014) Film Still
As much as I loved the film, the last few scenes totally confused me. It was definitely unexpected and it felt a little bit random. It makes me feel as though I wasn't giving the film my full attention, that maybe I missed something and I should watch it again in order to fully understand what happened.

Then again I think maybe I would still be confused no matter how many times I watched the film. Definitely one of the best films I've seen this year.


Rating: 9/10
One Last Word: Very Good

Post a Comment