SOCIAL MEDIA

Saturday 11 February 2017

Beneath (Ben Ketai, 2013)


Cast: Brent Briscoe, Kurt Caceres, Jeff Fahey, Kelly Noonan. Eric Etebari, Joey Hern

Summary: A crew of coal miners becomes trapped 600 feet below ground after a disastrous collapse. As the air grows more toxic and time runs out, they slowly descend into madness and begin to turn on one another.

Genre: Horror

Watched: December 15th, 2016


As soon as I saw the trailer for this film I just knew I had to watch it and then I saw the trailer multiple times every day for the next week and I absolutely could not wait to watch it.

However it finally came on I was left feeling a little disappointed.
Overall I thought the film was good. It's very similar in ways to The Descent (2005) which I absolutely loved; however there is definitely something missing.

Most of the performances are okay, but my biggest problem was with Sam (Kelly Noonan). She started off as a very decent character and was definitely an early favourite, but as soon as she stepped foot in the caves she completely changed.
She became a bit of a whimpering mess and this was before anything had really happened. So I wasn't surprised to see her become a bit of a damsel in distress for most of the film.

In The Descent we see exactly what is causing the problems underground (although it takes us a bit of time to get there); however with this film the question of whether it is actually the lack of oxygen that is causing the chaos or is there something more sinister at work seems to pop up.

I don't think it is actually explicitly mentioned and I don't think it was Ketai's intention but the way it's been written/filmed definitely brings up that question.
I really wish that it had been explored because I think it would have made a much better film, especially considering when the group first enters the cave and the ending.


Rating: 6/10
One Final Word: Okay

Post a Comment