SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 2 April 2017

Under The Skin (Jonathan Glazer, 2013)

Under the Skin (2013) Poster

Cast: Scarlett Johansson, Adam Pearson, Jeremy McWilliams

Summary: A mysterious young woman seduces lonely men in the evening hours in Scotland. However, events lead her to begin a process of self-discovery.

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Sci-Fi

Watched: January 8th, 2017


I hadn't actually seen this film when I bought the DVD for my sister, it was another film that I bought because the cover looked cool (see: Timeshifters).

When I finally got round to watching it on Netflix I have to say, at first I didn't like it for maybe 5-10 minutes.

I wasn't sure what was happening because the screen was black and then I thought that maybe my Ipad screen had gone to sleep, so I pressed the home button only to realise that film had actually playing all along.
A shortwhile later We see The Woman (Scarlet Johansson) in a large white room undressing a woman (Lynsey Taylor Mackay) who is seemingly unable to move, before dressing herself in the woman's clothes.
Under The Skin (2013) Still During this whole scene not one person speaks, in fact the whole scene is pretty quiet. What am I talking about, apart from the sound early on, our next experience of sound comes at 10mins in and is a little jarring after all the silence.
I thought that I would lose interest because I was struggling to follow exactly what was happening combined with the fact that Johansson doesn't utter a word until 15 minutes in but as the film went on I found that I was really starting to enjoy it.

I think Johansson is absolutely brilliant and her accent is pretty darn good.

Shortly after I watched the film I had an interesting thought (which I'm pretty sure isn't correct, but I want to believe it's true) that maybe Lucy and Under The Skin are connected.
I don't want to say why just in case people haven't seen them, if you have let me know and I'll share my theory with you!


Rating: 8/10
One Final Word: Weirdly Brilliant!

Post a Comment