SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday 13 June 2017

TV | A Series of Unfortunate Events (2017)

A Series of Unfortunate Events TV Poster

Cast: Neil Patrick Harris, Patrick Warburton, Malina Weissman, Louis Hynes, Presley Smith , K. Todd Freeman

Summary: After the loss of their parents in a mysterious fire, the three Baudelaire children face trials and tribulations attempting to uncover dark family secrets.

Genre: Drama, Black Comedy

Season(s): 1 (renewed for season's 2 and 3)
Watched: March 2017


I really enjoyed the film Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004), so when I saw the advert for the television show I was super excited to see it.
However it took me a couple of months to actually start watching it (it was released in January, I watched it in March, but I managed to get it all watched in just a couple of weeks during my commute to and from work.

For those that haven't read the books or seen the film, A Series of Unfortunate Events tells the story of the turbulent lives of the Baudelaire children, Violet, Klaus and Sunny.
Following the death of their parents in a fire at their home, the children are placed in the care of distant relative Count Olaf, who repeatedly attempts to steal their inheritance causing them to move from place to place in order to try to escape him.

While the film adaptation only covers the first three books in the series, The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room and The Wide Window (my favourite episode), the Netflix series covers the first four, the fourth being The Miserable Mill (my second favourite episode).
I really enjoyed the show (like I knew I would). I did start to get a little frustrated at times as I felt the episodes became a bit too repetitive, but then again one of the key motifs is the consistent efforts by Count Olaf to steal the children's fortune, so I can't really complain.
A Series of Unfortunate Events Still
There were quite a few characters that I absolutely loved, firstly the Baudelaire children. Malina Weissman, Louis Hynes and the adorable Presley Smith were brilliant as the orphaned Violet, Klaus and Sunny.
Joan Cusack (who I'm a little obsessed with) with brilliant as Justice Strauss, I loved K. Todd Freeman as the ever sick Arthur Poe and I thought Alfre Woodard was absolutely fantastic as the fierce and formidable Aunt Josephine.

I've never seen How I Met Your Mother and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen Neil Patrick Harris in anything else, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from him.
I didn't think he would be able to pull off the role as good as Jim Carrey but boy was I wrong, he was absolutely brilliant! I think Patrick Harris managed to play the role even better then Carrey because not only is he able to show the funny side of Count Olaf he also makes him seem a lot more sinister and dangerous.

I'm super looking forward to seasons 2 and 3. Season 2 will adapt books 5-9, The Austere Academy, The Ersatz Elevator, The Vile Village, The Hostile Hospital and The Carnivorous Carnival and season 3 will adapt the remaining 4 books; The Slippery Slope, The Grim Grotto, The Penultimate Peril and The End.

I think I'm going to try and read all the books before the next season comes out, as I've only read one (I think The Ersatz Elevator). It's supposedly being planned for the beginning of next year so I have a bit of time to go.


Rating: 9/10
One Final Word: EXCELLENT

Post a Comment