SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday 15 June 2010

Pan’s Labyrinth (Guillermo Del Toro, 2006)


Cast: Ivana Baquero, Sergi Lopez, Maribel Verdu, Doug Jones

Summary: In the fascist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world.

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Sci-Fi


I first watched this film way back when I was in sixth form as part my Film Studies course. Having already seen Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army I was really looking forward to watching Pan’s Labyrinth and I absolutely loved it.

Firstly I love the whole fantastical and supernatural theme that Guillermo Del Toro’s films always seem to be filled with, so much intricate detail is put into what’s on the screen from sets to characters that it’s impossible to see them all in one viewing. Everything looks stunning.

I think that this film is fantastic. The story of Ofelia (Ivana Baguero) and her family is heartbreakingly tragic but in some ways still joyful, especially when you see Ofelia playing obliviously in her little fantasy world. Despite this heartbreakingly tragic story it does have an oddly satisfying effect.
Pan's Labyrinth (2006) Still
Despite the whole fairytale aspect this is definitely not a children’s film just so you know, there are a few gory moments (some that even shocked me) and quite a few scenes that would probably scare the bejeebers out of little kids.

This is definitely a film to watch, especially if you enjoyed Hellboy, or even Cronos or Mimic. And also for those that have yet to see the film it is in Spanish so you’ll just have to put up with the subtitles.


My Rating- 10/10
One Final Word- BRILLIANT!

Post a Comment