SOCIAL MEDIA

Thursday 5 August 2010

The Mist (Frank Darabont, 2007)


Cast: Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, Laurie Holden, Andre Braugher, Toby Jones, William Sadler

Summary: After a mysterious mist envelopes a small New England town, a group of locals trapped in a supermarket must battle a siege of otherworldly creatures and fear that threaten to tear them apart.

Genre: Sci-Fi, Thriller

Beware there are spoilers!!


This is definitely one of the best films I have ever seen. My best friend’s mum (who funnily enough is my mum's best friend) said that she wanted me to watch it so that she could ask me a few questions about it after I had watched it.

What did you think of the film?

I really enjoyed this film, I think it introduced the main characters and set up the story very well. I liked how it gave the impression that David Drayton (Thomas Jane) and Mr Norton (Andre Braugher) were going to become friends during thier trip to the supermarket but after the mist envelops them, you find out that that is not the case. After the mist enveloped the town you could instantly see which of the towns people would stick with David and those who wouldn’t. There was one point in the film when a character mad a point that I totally agree with he said, “If you scare people badly enough, you can get them to do anything. They’ll turn to whoever promises a solution…”

Which characters helped to build the tension most?

I think the character that helped to build the most tension was Mrs Carmody (Marcia Gay Harden). At first she doesn’t really say much but then she starts going on about how this is the work of God and how he is punishing you for going against his word. Before this point many of the towns people already believed she was crazy. After the night attack people start to listen to her and begin to believe her teachings of how the creatures would attack in the night, but we really know that the night attack only happened because of the creatures attraction to light. It was just before she began gathering followers that David said something that was only too true, “I count four. She’s preaching to them now by the afternoon she’ll have four more.”

Were you surprised by the ending?

Yes and no. I knew that when they left the supermarket that they still had the gun so they would be able to kill each other should they need to and I thought it was typical that there would only be four bullets in the gun. At this point I have to say I was thinking up all different kinds of ways to kill them all, including the idea of smothering the child that way there would still be enough bullets to kill each of the adults.
I have to say that I wasn’t expecting what happened after the shootings and that right after he does what he has to do the army comes up behind him though the clearing mist. Here we also see the woman who left the supermarket earlier just after the mist enveloped the town to go and get her two children, on a rescue truck with her two children.

I do think that he/they gave up too early and they possibly could have waited till the there was no other options, or at least listened to my advice about the smothering, but we will never know.


My Rating: 10/10
One Final Word: One of the Best!

Post a Comment