SOCIAL MEDIA

Friday 24 December 2010

The Box (Richard Kelly, 2009)

the box 2009 poster

Cast: James Marsden, Cameron Diaz, Frank Langella, Sam Oz Stone, Holmes Osbourne, James Rebhorn

Summary: A mysterious stranger deposits a box at the door of married couple Arthur and Norma Lewis who are then presented with a choice. If you press the button sealed within the dome and you will receive a million dollars, but somewhere someone whom you don’t know will die.

Genre: Mystery, Sci-Fi


Yep that’s right, this is film is number 100!! Which means that my goal to watch 100 films that I’ve never seen before in one year is complete and I’m super, super happy. Even though my goal is complete I’m going to see how many films I’ll have watched at the end of the year. Now on to The Box.

Firstly what would you do? Would you press the button? I don't think I would.

The film starts straight away with the introduction of the Lewis family and the mysterious stranger who leaves a strange box at their doorstep. After that things start getting pretty strange, well stranger then a man with a missing cheek leaving you a mysterious box, but mysterious people who have nosebleeds appear, there's conspiracy theories and time travel, yep that's right time travel.

The story is really interesting the whole idea of giving people that kind of choice and seeing what their thought process is before they finally make a decision.
Personally, I think some people (like the Lewis') would press the button because they're struggling for money and need to provide for their family, and I would hope that people wouldn't push the button just because that the person that will die is someone they don't know.

As we get deeper into the story I just found that things became really confusing and maybe the last 30 minutes or so for me were not good at all. Also Cameron Diaz was a let-down for me, I thought her accent was awful.

the box 2009 still

My Rating: 5/10

Post a Comment