SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday 28 July 2013

Devil (John Erick Dowdle, 2010)

devil film poster

Cast: Chris Messina, Logan Marshall-Green, Jenny O'Hara, Geoffrey Arend, Jacob Vargas, Bokeem Woodbine, Bojana Novakovic

Summary: A group of people are trapped in an elevator where one of them is not what they seem.

Genre: Horror, Thriller, Mystery


I actually got this film confused with Blackout (2008) when it first started and then I realised after a few minutes I actually had no idea what I was watching so I wasn’t sure about what to expect.

Now if you know me or if you've read some of my other reviews post you'll know that I don't really watch horror films because I'm a total wimp, so of course I was a little nervous about watching the film especially since I watched it at night all by myself.

I loved how the film starts with something you really were not expecting to happen, like at all and how everything that follows seems to be somehow linked to this first event.
I really liked the mystery surrounding the whole event and each character, everyone's under suspicion and no one is safe and I loved the use of unknown/not well known actors (I've only heard of a couple of them), which for me makes it just a little bit more realistic.
devil film still
I know people have questioned a few of M. Night Shyamalan's films such as The Happening (which I think is pretty cool) and The Last Airbender, but if this film is anything to go by The Night Chronicles trilogy looks set to be pretty good. (Edit: Or maybe not because 5 years later the second film hasn’t come out.)
Personally I think this film is great, the fact that the director is able to keep people interested and in suspense when the majority of the action takes place in one small room is a good sign.

A few days after watching the film I was waiting outside an elevator with my family for a good 15 minutes not knowing that a mother and child were stuck inside screaming and banging for help.


"If the Devil is real, then God must be real too."


My Rating: 7/10
One Final Word: Very Good

Post a Comment