SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday 29 March 2016

The Mortal Instruments: City Of Bones (Harald Zwart, 2013)

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (2013) Poster

Cast: Lily Collins, Jamie Campbell Bower, Robert Sheehan, Kevin Zegers, Lena Headley, Aidan Turner

Summary: When her mother disappears, Clary Fray learns that she descends from a line of warriors who protect our world from demons. She joins forces with others like her and heads into a dangerous alternate New York called the Shadow World.

Genre: Fantasy, Horror, Mystery

Watched: February 21st, 2016


Way, way back in 2013 I did a What I'm Excited to See post on The Mortal Instruments.
First a little update on that, I have now read every book in the Mortal Instruments series and I'm getting ready to buy the first book in the Dark Artifices sequel series which was released this month; however I still have to read the last two books in the Infernal Devices prequel series.

Clearly as you can tell I'm quite a fan of these books so watching the film was the obvious next step (despite it being a good couple of years after it was released, whoops). I also remember reading somewhere that the film wasn't very good but I was still looking forward to seeing it.

I did enjoy the film; however it missed out a massive chuck of the book (which I suppose is somewhat normal with film adaptations of books), but there was so much of the book that is missing/not even explained that made the whole story a bit confusing.
The Mortal Instruments (2010) Film Still
I wasn't keen on most of the actors chosen for the characters especially Clary, Jace and Valentine, Jonathan Rhys Meyers was 100% not the right person for the role and Jace for me just felt a little too creepy rather the mysterious, but I loved Godfrey Gao as Magnus Bane and Robert Sheenan as Simon.
Despite having read all the Mortal Instrument books I've always had my own idea of what the characters looked like and for me Jace has always had black hair and the Lightwoods have all had white blonde hair.

I felt even more disappointed in the film as I started watching the TV series Shadowhunters straight after the film and I absolutely love it! I prefer most of the actors chosen to portray the characters and it seems to be a lot closer to the book then the film which makes the story easier to follow.

Rating: 7/10

Post a Comment